May 2018 Meeting Minutes

Minutes of Committee Meeting held on

1st May 2018

DJ Room, Methodist Church Centre, Broadstone.

 Present.          Vikki Slade (Chairman), Chris Walton, Richard Hudson, Russell Perry, Wendy Perry, John Hewer, Colin Merrett, Malcolm Burgess, Allan Jeans and Elaine Frew

      Apologies.   Chris Burt, David Williams, John Lodge, Mike Brooke

  1. Minutes of Last Meeting – held on 6th March 2018 were agreed by all as a true record, and signed by the Chairman

 

  1. Matters Arising.                                                              

It was suggested that the Committee could visit areas to recruit members

  1. Secretary’s report and Stepping Stones.             (Elaine Frew)

Everyone should be up to date by e-mails from various people.

I visited Burwood Nursing Home Open Day to represent BNW, and it seems a most impressive and caring place.

Stepping Stones.      In the UK one person develops Dementia every 3 minutes, which is a very worrying statistic. Dementia Action Week runs from 21st – 27th May, and hopefully we will be updated at the AGM. Activities continue as before and are thriving. Our bracelet scheme continues to be promoted, and more businesses in Broadstone are encouraged to become Dementia Friendly. We are looking for a Safe Haven where people who are found wandering and unable to find their way home can be taken until Carers are contacted.

  1. Chairman’s Report. (Vikki Slade)

At the last committee meeting we discussed the disappointing support we had received from the local police in recent months.  I wrote to the Police and Crime Commissioner about this, and other matters of concern and was able to discuss some with him at a recent community event. I have now met with the Acting Police Inspector of Poole, and we have worked through many of these issues.

Our Sergeant and PCSO have now left our local neighbourhood team and as yet neither have been directly replaced.  I understand that Dan has gone to a new role of PCSI – Police Community Support Investigators.  Currently there is no dedicated Broadstone PCSO, instead they are working as a team with 3 of them working the communities of Merley, Broadstone, Creekmoor and Waterloo and Hamworthy.  The Police Constables are now working as brigades, instead of covering geographic areas they are working on different issues – from violent crime to drugs, from ASB to county lines, domestic abuse to cybercrime. There are now two Police Sergeants covering Poole, and they are tasked with different groups of issues, rather than working “North” and “South” as they were before.                                                                                                                                        I expressed my concern about this arrangement but concede there is little that we can do.  The acting inspector assured me that he is trying to recruit an additional PCSO for the team that covers Broadstone.

We also talked about the future of the Broadstone Police Office.  Whilst we no longer have officers working directly out of this centre – all officers go “on shift” at Poole for their briefing – it is occupied regularly each day, not only by officers in our NPT but others who need a space to work.  There is also some thought being given to how additional officers can use the space – including Traffic – and I am writing to their lead officer to ask for this to be considered.  I was assured that the estates team have no intention of disposing of the Broadstone office in the short to medium term.  I also shared my worry about the lack of engagement with BNW over the recent months – in terms of attendance at our committee meetings to getting a decent police report for the newsletter.  The inspector talked me through a potential new way of working, and we need more information about this idea.

There has been lots of social media chatter about speeding in the last few weeks. Geoff Daulman from CWS got in touch. He has expressed a desire to improve the working relationship between the two organisations. We will look at how we could possibly give occasional space for them to report in our newsletter (250 words max.)  It was suggested that he could put out leaflets at our AGM.  Another suggestion was to share a stand at the Fun Day with BNW.

I have been delighted with the number of new members that have joined through the hard work of some of our contacts and coordinators.  We still have quite a few annual submissions to receive and I hope that we are close to our target of 70% of homes who are members of BNW.  We have also been successful in recruiting some new contacts this month, and I believe we have just one vacancy.

  1. Treasurer’s Report. (Richard Hudson)

 Draft Accounts for the Year Ended 31st March 2018

  1. The Treasurer had emailed draft BNW Accounts for the year ended 31st March 2018 to all Committee members. Paul Day, the Watch’s Honorary Examiner, was currently checking the Accounts for the purpose of certifying they were in accordance with BNW’s cash book and other records. The Committee expressed its thanks to Paul for his work.
  2. Subscription income for the year was £3,556, compared with £3,577 in 2017. As reported to the Committee at its meeting in March, subscriptions for 2017/18 had not been received from two contact groups, one in Widworthy Drive (Blue 7) and the other in Delph Road (Red 1). The Treasurer reminded the Committee that there are two contact groups in Widworthy Drive. He made it clear that Ian Smith, the Contact at 42, Widworthy Drive, had remitted to the Watch all the subscription collections for which he was responsible, and these had been duly processed.

 

  1. The Watch had not received any bank deposit account interest during the year ended 31st March 2018 (compared with £25 the previous year) because, with the agreement of the Committee, the Treasurer had closed the deposit account with Scottish Widows in early April 2017 and transferred this money to the Barclays current account (the ‘Community Account’). The low interest rates on offer from financial institutions at present meant the Watch was unable to earn any material income from a deposit account.

 

  1. Total annual expenditure was £3,523 comprising £1,050 for donations made by the Watch and £2,473 for administrative expenses. This resulted in a net surplus of £33 for 2017/18, compared with a net deficit of £170 for 2016/17.

 

  1. Administrative expenses were £2,473, representing £1,523 for printing and stationery, £162 for AGM and other meeting expenses, £85 for sundries and £703 for Neighbourhood Watch street signs.

 

  1. Donations comprised £500 for bike security marking, £500 to Poole Forum and £50 to the Royal British Legion.
  2. BNW was in a healthy financial position. Its Accumulated Fund stood at £9,606 at 31st March 2018, compared with £9,573 in 2017. The Watch had the resources for a planned major programme for renewing some Broadstone Neighbourhood Watch street signs, and for other local projects (currently under the Committee’s consideration), in furtherance of its key objectives.
  3. At 31st March 2018, the Watch held £9,715 in its Barclays Community Account and a petty cash float of £82. Creditors amounted to £191, comprising funds of £179 held on behalf of Stepping Stones (a Broadstone support group for people with dementia) and £12 for membership subscriptions received in advance. There were no debtors, in contrast to previous years when there had been a debtor for bank interest receivable.
  4. The Committee unanimously approved BNW’s accounts for the year ended 31st March 2018, subject to a satisfactory Honorary Examiner’s report.
  5. The Treasurer confirmed that a motion for the approval of the accounts would be put to members attending the AGM on 24th

Proposal for Donation to Stepping Stones 

  1. The Treasurer referred to the donation of £500 that the Watch had made to Stepping Stones in 2016 and reported that to date £290 had been spent on identity bracelets for people with dementia and £210 on the monthly ‘drop ins’ for them held at a local church. He suggested BNW should make a further donation to Stepping Stones, whose very worthwhile activities were completely in line with BNW’s broad community objectives.
  2. Following a discussion, the Committee unanimously approved a donation of £250 to Stepping Stones.

 

  1. Membership and Development Officer’s Report (Russell Perry)

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into force on 25th May. Russell completed a questionnaire on GOV.UK which states that the Watch does not need to register.

 

We have some New Members’ Packs, but many things are now only available via the Internet.

 

Membership            We currently have 3,359 members, with 301 of them receiving their newsletters by e-mail. Our coverage is 70.2 %, but this is only after 222 of the 2018 subscriptions have been processed. There was a successful recruitment drive with the April newsletter, and this exercise will be repeated next March, which will marry up more smoothly with the April subscription collection.

 

Collection Slips       The new style slips were well received. The detailed layout will be reviewed later in the year, in readiness for the 2019 subscription collection

 

  1. Editor’s Report (Colin Merrett)

Since the last meeting, we have issued two Newsletters – March and April – and the May edition has been circulated for comment in the last few days.

 

The March Newsletter went out late as we had no response from the Police, despite several requests. In the end, we simply blamed it on the snow and hoped that things would get back to normal.  However, we were subsequently told that there wouldn’t be a police report in April either, as the PCSO had moved on and hadn’t been replaced.  This has continued into May.  In each case, we have been able to find sufficient copy to fill the four pages without a police contribution, although in May this has also necessitated a larger font size.

 

Calls to the Police 101 number often take far too long to be answered. It was suggested that use of the Police website might be better.

 

My thanks to Chris Walton for putting the final touches to the April edition.

 

 

  1. Special Newsletters. (John Hewer)

 

John reported that we have 7 Special Newsletters, and   5 large print ones.

 

 

  1. Possible future Police Reports.

 

There was no Police presence and this item was covered in the Chairman’s report.

 

 

  1. Street Signs.      (Chris Walton)

 

Chris has produced a very comprehensive list of Street Signs in the whole of Broadstone and their condition.  Due to the changing to LED lights, and the concrete posts being changed to metal shafts we have lost approximately 30 – 40 signs. Vikki has contacted the Borough of Poole and they will replace signs that they have lost.  If we buy more signs they must be installed by a person who is accredited to the Council. Chris could do ordering for new signs, and if ordered from BOP, they can also put them up.

 

Richard thanked Chris for all his work.

 

 

 

This will be on Thursday, 24th May, in St John’s Church Hall, Macaulay Road at 7.30pm. Chris Walton will collect the key. Refreshments will be provided. The Mayor Cllr Sean Gabriel will attend. The Police and Crime Commissioner is unable to attend, but he is organising either an Inspector or above to attend and speak in his place and update us on what is happening locally. His Staff Officer will also attend and say a few words. Our main Speaker will be Ricky Fidler, Dorset Police Drone Lead who will bring some drones for everyone to see, as well as a video showing how they work.

 

  1. Committee Membership 2018 – 2019.

The Committee all agreed to stand for another year.

 

The Youth Shelter.  Funding has been refused by Borough of Poole. It would cost £800 to remove.

Archive records.  Some years ago, our older records went to Dorchester Archives office for safe-keeping. We will discuss whether our later records should also be deposited there.

 

The meeting closed at 9.15pm